By Susanna Braund,Josiah Osgood
- Provides targeted and up to date counsel at the texts and contexts of Persius and Juvenal
- Offers monstrous dialogue of the reception of either authors, reflecting probably the most cutting edge paintings being performed in modern Classics
- Contains an intensive exploration of Persius' and Juvenal's afterlives
Read or Download A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This landmark assortment offers a large choice of viewpoints at the price and function of reception conception in the smooth self-discipline of classics. A pioneering assortment, the function reception thought performs, or may play, in the glossy self-discipline of classics. Emphasizes theoretical features of reception.
In 1322, a Jewish surgeon named Abner entered a synagogue within the Castilian urban of Burgos and started to weep in prayer. Falling asleep, he dreamed of a "great guy" who instructed him to evoke from his shut eye. almost immediately thereafter, he switched over to Christianity and wrote a couple of works attacking his previous religion.
The Carmen Saeculare was once composed and released in 17 BCE as Horace used to be returning to the style of lyric which he had deserted six years previous; the fourth booklet of Odes is partly a reaction to this poem, the single commissioned poem we all know from the interval. The hardening of the political scenario, with the Republic something of the earlier and the Augustan succession within the air, threw the tricky factor of compliment into clean aid, and even as supplied an impulse in the direction of the nostalgia represented by means of the poet's inner most global.
Michael Psellos (11. Jh. ) ist ein Philosoph, der wie kein anderer für die byzantinische Epoche steht. Das Denken dieses Großintellektuellen – der in subtilen Auseinandersetzungen mit antiken und spätantiken Positionen in Theologie, Ontologie und Ethik eine selbständige christliche Philosophie formuliert – findet in diesem Band erstmalig eine monographische Gesamtdarstellung.
- Petrarch the Poet (Routledge Revivals): An Introduction to the 'Rerum Vulgarium Fragmenta'
- The Dream of Bernat Metge
- Middle-earth Minstrel: Essays on Music in Tolkien
- Gender and Holiness: Men, Women and Saints in Late Medieval Europe (Routledge Studies in Medieval Religion and Culture)
- Land and Book: Literature and Land Tenure in Anglo-Saxon England (Toronto Anglo-Saxon Series)
- Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, Volume IV
Extra info for A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Susanna Braund,Josiah Osgood
Categories: Literary Medieval Criticism