By Shirley Samuels
- Draws seriously on ancient and cultural contexts in its attention of yankee fiction
- Relates the fiction of the interval to conflicts approximately territory and sovereignty and to problems with gender, race, ethnicity and identity
- Covers diversified varieties of fiction, together with children’s literature, sketches, polemical items, historic romances, Gothic novels and novels of exploration
- Considers either canonical and lesser-known authors, together with James Fennimore Cooper, Hannah Foster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Treats ignored themes, reminiscent of the Western novel, technology and the radical, and American fiction in languages except English
Read or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Please input product description
‘Contemporary Literature’ is one of the most well liked parts of literary research however it could be a tricky one to outline. This booklet equips readers with the mandatory instruments to take an analytical and systematic method of modern texts. the writer offers solutions to a couple of the serious questions within the field: What makes a literary textual content modern?
Apartheid and past deals trenchant, traditionally delicate readings of writings via Coetzee, Gordimer, Fugard, Tlali, Dike, Magona, and Mda, concentrating on the intimate dating among position, subjectivity, and literary shape. It additionally explores the best way apartheid functioned in its day by day operations as a geographical process of keep an eye on, exerting its energy via such spatial mechanisms as residential segregation, bantustans, passes, and prisons.
Narcoepics Unbound foregrounds the arguable but quite often untheorized phenomenon of latest Latin American 'narcoepics. ' facing literary works and movies whose features are associated with illicit international trade, casual exertions, violence, 'bare life,' drug intake, and ritualistic styles of identification, it argues for a brand new theoretical method of larger comprehend those 'narratives of intoxication.
- Literary Criticism in the 21st Century: Theory Renaissance
- Love in William Shakespeare's "As You Like It"
- Decadence in Literature and Intellectual Debate since 1945
- Point of View, Perspective, and Focalization (Narratologia)
- Civility and Empire: Literature and Culture in British India, 1821-1921 (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- Where the Shadows Lie: A Jungian Interpretation of Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings
Additional resources for A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Shirley Samuels
Categories: Literary Criticism Theory